I want to change up topics for a bit, and move over to something really fun. Dates! (not the fruit, although I like those dates too.)
Originally, dating with a food intolerance seemed like a struggle. Because a lot of typical dates include going out to eat. And having a corn or other food intolerance/allergy, you can’t eat out.
I also worried about telling the people I dated about my corn intolerance, because I thought they would run for the hills with all of my “issues.” Which wasn’t the case; they have all been pretty understanding.
Here are some of my favorite alternatives/suggestions to do rather than going out to eat on dates. *These ideas also work with spending time with friends too.
Dating with a food intolerance ideas:
Getting outside is a great place to start. This way you aren’t around food, and if you are, have control over what you’re bringing with you.
- Go for a hike
- This one will work better if you already know the person, because going out in the woods with a stranger might not be the best idea.
- This could also work as a group date if you’re concerned.
- This was one of my first dates with my current boyfriend, but we already knew each other, so I wasn’t worried.
- Take a picnic to the park
- Go star gazing
- Find a local garden and explore it
- There’s a Japanese flower garden that my boyfriend and I love to walk through, turning each area into a game of how to get to the next place
- Swim in a nearby body of water, i.e. lake, river, ocean…
- Kayak on the water
- Try out something adventurous like rock climbing or zip-lining
- If it’s the winter, go ice skating or sledding
The only problem you might encounter with these outdoor dates are that a packed lunch might be required. You can always just plan ahead to bring your own lunch, or make it a half day so no food is required.
Indoor Botanical Gardem Exploring Museums
If it’s not the best weather outside, there are also options to stay indoors!
- Explore a museum
- Find an indoor garden that’s open year round
- Check out historical buildings nearby
- See if there are other activities near you, like bowling or an arcade, or mini golf!
A night out:
- Look for comedy clubs near you, and have a good laugh
- If you’re not anaphylactic to corn, you can go see a movie
- Live theater is always fun, and you can check the venue to see if they serve popcorn (to avoid it)
- A concert in a cool venue
A night in:
Homemade Pizza Puzzle Time
- Cook a meal together (I know this one’s food related, but then you know what you’re eating)
- Work on a puzzle if you’re not contact sensitive to corn, otherwise avoid
- Movie at home
- Build a fort
- Game night (works for two people or a big group)
- Play video games
Hot Air Balloon Festival Tractor Pull
- Go to a tractor pull or some other agriculture related event
- Hot air balloon festival or something similar
- Find a local craft market to explore
- Look on Facebook or an event finder to see what’s going on nearby that interests you
There are so many non-food related date options, it’s just a little daunting at the start to say, no, I can’t go out to eat. I’ll keep adding to this as I come up with more date ideas.
I hope you enjoy some of these dating with a food intolerance ideas and let me know in the comments if you have any non-food dates you love.